UNM Member of Parliament Givi Targamadze was questioned by prosecutors in Saturday. A police employee was fired last week for leaking information to Targamadze.

Givi Targamadze. (Interpressnews.)

TBILISI, DFWatch–MP Givi Targamadze was Saturday questioned for nine hours in a case related to the leaking of information from the Interior Ministry.

More than a week ago, a Georgian Interior Ministry employee was fired for allegedly handing over secret information to Targamadze, a prominent member of parliament for ex-President Saakashvili’s party, the National Movement.

On Thursday, Targamadze appeared at the Prosecutor General’s Office to be questioned as a witness. As a parliamentarian, he was not strictly speaking required to show up for questioning.

As he left, Targamadze said the questions were ‘lame’ but that he provided investigators with all the information they needed.

Energy minister’s mafia links

He also told prosecutors about some things they didn’t ask him about.

“I also provided investigators with information about multiple violations by high ranking officials, police heads collaborating with the mafia world,” he said, and urged investigators to start looking into his claims.

Then he went on to specify who he was accusing of conspiring with the Georgian mafia: The head of the Prime Minister’s security, the former head of the Interior Minister’s security, and the former head of Adjara police department and his deputies.

“And Vice Prime Minister Kakhi Kaladze, who actively participates in all of this,” he added, accusing all of them of being involved in ‘forming a mafia state police system.’

Kaladze is a former professional footballer, who now serves as energy minister as well as vice prime minister.

Targamadze is wanted in Russia, accused of supporting the opposition and participating in organizing a revolution. He is accused of funding the activism of Sergey Udaltsov, leader of the Left Front, his assistant Leonid Razvizhayev and the activist Konstantin Lebedev, who was convicted to two and a half years in prison in 2013.