TBILISI, DFWatch–Five Georgians have died of alcohol poisoning in the suburbs of Istanbul, Turkey.
First, there was report about the death of four Georgians, which was confirmed by the Foreign Affairs Ministry of Georgia. On Sunday, there was another report that a fifth Georgian, who had been in difficult condition for two days, also had died.
According to the Foreign Affairs Ministry, they died of poisoning after drinking home-made alcohol. Two more Georgians are in hospital for the same reason.
The Georgians were working in construction. They had prepared alcohol and drank it to mark New Year. The father of one of the victims, Mamuka Gabelia, says that he spoke with his son on January 1 when he was at the New Year’s dinner.
The victims are from the towns Abasha, Senaki and Zugdidi in western Georgia.
Georgia’s Consul in Turkey, Irakli Asashvili, says the bodies will be brought to Georgia on Monday and Turkey will offer assistance.
Two other poisoned Georgians are still in hospital. Both their families have been informed of the situation.
There is a bilateral visa free rules between Georgia and Turkey. Georgians are able to stay in Turkey for 90 days without a visa and do any legal activities. Many Georgians go there, usually to work.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.