TBILISI, DFWatch–In the past two weeks, Prosecutor’s Office of Georgia has twice introduced charges against former government official Megis Kardava for torture of prisoners.

On Wednesday, the Prosecutor’s Office published information about an investigation concerning a prisoner who was forced to admit he participated in preparing a terrorist attack.

Charges are introduced against Gaga Mkurnalidze, former deputy of the prison department, Megis Kardava, former chairman of the Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti police department, as well as Alexandre Mukhadze, former head of Prison No 8, which lies in the Gldani district of the capital.

Investigators claim that on April 2, 2011, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti police arrested a 22 year old man for illegally purchasing and keeping drugs. He was brought to the police department in the town Zugdidi and tortured. They demanded that he admitted taking part in preparations for a terrorist attack.

The Prosecutor’s Office says that the same night, former Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili, Head of the Constitution Security Department (Kudi) Data Akhalaia and his deputy, along with other Interior Ministry officials arrived at Zugdidi police department.

April 4, 2011 the prisoner who had been tortured was detained by Kudi on suspicion of preparing a terrorist attack. The next day he was taken to Tbilisi. April 6, Tbilisi City Court placed the prisoner along with one other person in preliminary detention, and they were taken to Gldani Prison.

Koka Katsitadze, from the Prosecutor’s Office, said at a briefing on Wednesday that Alexandre Mukhadze, who was director of Gldani prison, ordered to place the tortured prisoner in a special room in the prison where there is not even the minimal conditions for living, usually meant for only for a few hours placement as punishment, but this time the prisoner was left there for six days.

April 11, 2011, the prisoner together with two other prisoners were brought to the office of the deputy director of the prison, where Kardava and Gaga Mkurnalidze again beat them and demanded that they admit to taking part in different terrorist acts.

“They were tortured with batons and electric shocks,” the prosecutor said, adding that the prisoner passed out during the torture.

The prisoner’s health condition deteriorated, and the same day he was brought back to a normal cell, where he died without receiving any medical treatment.

The investigation is not yet finished.

December 27, the Prosecutor’s Office introduced charges against Megis Kardava, who is not in Georgia and is wanted internationally.